Wednesday 20 November 2013

Day 1 in the field

Today I began my trip to visit Joshua's projects in Malawi. This is the first time I have seen the projects and met the incredible team based here who are the energy behind everything and what a day!

It started at Joshua's offices in Blantyre, where I met Chimemwe, Jospeh, Patrick and Stevie. The Joe and I headed of in the capable hands of driver John to Milo feeding centre where we had an enthusiastic reception. The feeding centre caters for just over 40 children, aged from 1-5 it provides them with a safe place to go from 7.30 to 1pm Monday to Friday and they receive a hot  meal and a basic pre school education. Joshua runs lots of these centres throughout Malawi and they are the linchpin of our work with the very young and vulnerable.

Next stop was Mbinda Primary School, where we had some supplies to deliver for the students (Pencils and exercise books.) 140 students are in two classrooms and food is provided by Mary's Meals. The students and teachers were grateful for the donation, which was possible thanks to funds raised by the Maize Mill.

Next stop was the Pensulo Clinic and Maize Mill. With a lady in labour I didn't want to intrude to much so we moved on to the feeding centre and Maize Mill.

The Maize Mill has truly transformed the lives of locals, particularly women, who previously had to walk to Manyowe to mill their Maize. This is a long walk with no buses and could take a day, or longer if the mill wasn't working due to a power-cut.

There are two machines and three members of staff, the first machine removes the husks, which can then be sold as chicken feed, and the second grinds the Maize down. It was incredible to see the mill in action and I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who made this project possible.

I think that's enough for one day, I will send more updates when the internet allows me to do so.