Monday, 14 July 2014

Tonbridge Grammar - Team one - the final two days on the project

Not one, but two updates from the first team of volunteers from Tonbridge Grammar:
1. The morning started with a walk up to the wisdom tree before breakfast where the girls could look down on the school and surrounds to see how it has already changed so much since they arrived. 

After breakfast the girls organised games and English lesson for the children of the Mary's Meals feeding centre in Manyenje. 

The afternoon saw the official 'handover ceremony' and meant speeches from the chief, the girls, the teachers, Chisanga and the Inspire Leaders about the girls' time in Manyenje, interspersed with songs from the girls and the women of the community. 

After more dancing the girls played a final game of netball before packing and eating their final home-cooked meal of the trip.

2. The team had a fantastic last day in the villages yesterday and departed with very heavy hearts but with much praise for their amazing work and dedication to the project.. The bar is set high for Team 2! :-)

This morning we said our farewells and made some jam sarnies for the road to Liwonde National Park.  We set off and were on the way by 8am...  the bus journey was pretty uneventful, a lot of bananas eaten and a competition to see who could hold out the longest on eating their sarnies (it's very rock and roll here!) 

By afternoon we had arrived at the fantastic Liwonde National Park and were busy setting up our camp and settling in to the sound of cattle egrets and hippo out on the Shire River. 

The Boat safari was awesome and the team were lucky enough to see a herd of male elephants romping (literally) in the shallows... we had a great view of them, saw also lots hippos but only a few crocs....  

Dinner tonight was a real treat, buffet and even some nsima plus we were treated to some rather trippy and bonkers singing and performance/dances in costumes...  Everyone's early to bed now as we are up at sunrise for our game drive... Can't wait!

The Team left Malawi on Saturday and waved to Team 2 at the airport who arrived the same day. We would like to say a huge thank you to the whole team for all their incredible hard work - they are an inspirational bunch.