Thursday 28 November 2013

What a week . . so far!

So today is Thursday, I think, I hope, and I must apologise for not having blogged sooner but it has been a crazy week!

On Saturday I visited Open Arms Malawi, an Orphanage which looks after children from 8 days old too two years, whose families are unable to do so. The Orphanage keep in contact with family members where possible and hope that after two years the child can go back home. Many of these children have lost one or both of their parents, so family members are often grandparents, uncles, and aunts, who just can't give them the care and attention they need.

It was rather a baptism of fire for me, having never fed a baby before I soon found myself in the feeding section tasked with ensuring that a beautiful young boy got his lunch before he was whipped away for a change and a wash. The rest of the time I played with the children outside. Even though they are in an Orphanage these children are actually quite lucky, they have toys, which most Malawian children do not, and the centres policy really highlights that every child must be treated with love. An ethos which I hope I added to a little.

Monday morning started with a staff meeting at Joshua HQ followed by typing up a lot of student profiles. I have now met over 40 students sponsored through Joshua UK and each students plight highlights why it is s important that we help these children get the education they so desperately need.

Today I met 4 students who are sponsored thanks to a donation from Heathfield and Waldron Rotary Club.

First I met Japson Boniface who is 17 years old and is in form 2 of Secondary School. Japson comes from a very poor family, his father does odd jobs and his mother looks after him and his seven siblings.

Japson gets up at 5am every morning to collect water from the local river, it's 20 minutes each way and he does this every day before embarking on his 1hr walk to school.

Japson's family were struggling to play his school fees and last year he was thrown out of school because he couldn't pay. He is the only child in his family at Secondary School and without the support of Heathfeild and Waldron Rotary Club, he wouldn't be getting an education either this year.

But thanks to their support he's in school working hard at his favourite subject of English, Maths and Biology towards his dream of one day becoming a doctor.

I asked Japson how his parents felt when they heard the news that he was going to be sponsored:

"My parents felt so great when they found out I was going to be sponsored - they are so thankful for this - it is a blessing from God."

And I asked him why getting an education is important to him

"I want to be able to help myself and my family, that is why getting an education is important to me. Education will enable me to do what I need to do in the future."

I couldn't have put it better myself. I promise to add more news over the coming days before I fly home on Monday. Thanks for reading and thanks for supporting Joshua!